For web developers an image editor is essential. Images should be precisely sized for the spot they are going. Cropping and sharpening are also commonly done to increase the imact of an image. Transparency tools are also useful. These tasks can be handled by free tools.
As a web designer you will need far more extensive tools to create custom graphics and compose images and create slices of images. These skills are beyond the scope of this class but Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Fireworks are common choices for most professionals. Gimp (see below) emulates most capabilities of these packages. Adobe Illustrator is also popular for creation of vector graphics (graphics as opposed to photo images)
Free Image Editors
- Gimp - a full-featured package
- Windows Photo Gallery (standard in Vista only)
- GraphicConverter (sometimes bundled on the Mac)
- iPhoto (bundled with Mac)
Screen Capture tools
- Snag-it - one of my favorite tools, does wonderful post-capture editing as well. Educational pricing $38
- Jing - wonderful free tool - also does full-motion screen capture for making instructional videos!